Wednesday, April 29, 2009

You Can Do It?

It seems that I hear this phrase often: "If I can do it, anyone can!" Or, "If I did this, you can do it!" This expression has always, always bothered me, but it wasn't until recently that I really thought about why.


Let's analyze this phrase:



If I Can Do It, ANYONE CAN!!


Really? So what you're saying, tiny blond woman who already looked good in a bikini, there is no one else on this planet who has more difficult time losing weight? No one else on earth has experienced the significance of your personal struggle with weight, so your two-weeks' worth of speed and plant estrogen is all it should take for anyone? Interesting.

Even Marie Osmond, bless her stretch pants, says it in her Nutri-System ads. Now, I love Marie, but if her message is that a celebrity with more time and resources at hand than most of us will ever command has even more of a struggle than we do, my love is somewhat tempered.


I confess this has begun to really offend me. I know you couldn't tell, since I hide my feelings so well.


I wish we could all accept the amazing and infinite variety that is humanity and stop trying to make everything a competition.


I know it's just a saying, but it's one I'm trying to avoid.


Now, for those of you who want my bread recipe, I'll be happy to share. It's so easy. In fact, if I can do it...

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Stupid Marie Osmond!! If she can have an eating disorder, so can I!!

Barbaloot said...

Well yes...I suppose if I had lots of money from being a celebrity, access to trainers and/or chefs I could lost plenty of weight!

Now, after running a half marathon I will not say "If I could do it blah blah blah." Let's be honest, no one is quite as amazing as me, and I don't want to give anyone false hopes.

Boy Mom said...

Your commenters are sooo funny!