I am in a legitimate quandary. For the past sixteen years, every year's list of resolutions began with, "Lose (varying amounts) of weight." Sometimes I disguised it as "Live healthier," "Eat more vegetables," "Exercise," or "Stop scouring the floor for forgotten M&M's," but it always meant the same.
This resolution no longer really exists for me. I still have a substantial amount of weight to lose (52 pounds), but I have already lost 89 pounds (from my top weight in May; I've lost 77 pounds since August 25). I am currently losing anywhere from 2-5 pounds per week, so even by a conservative estimate, I should be at my (doctor's) goal weight by early July, but I think I'll be there before then. It won't stop there, of course, but weight loss is no longer an idealistic, far-reaching, nigh unattainable goal that will require substantial change in my behavior to accomplish, therefore it does not require a resolution.
Here, then, are my resolutions, in no particular order:
1. I'm going to keep a cleaner house. I have much more energy now than I used to, which should mean I have more time, but it doesn't seem to be working that way. I promise to devote more of my time and energy to my home this year.
2. I'm not going to brood about things that irritate or offend me. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to completely avoid it, but I refuse to waste my mental energy on things and people who do nothing but bring me down.
3. This year, I WILL SING AGAIN. I promise, I will take at least one voice lesson from my teacher this summer and I will sing FOR REAL again.
4. I will stop buying myself jewelry except on special occasions, such as a trip to a jewelry store.
5. This year, I will allow myself to be photographed, and I will not delete the pictures from the camera before anyone else sees them.
Ah, a life with purpose. It feels good.
Mom Tweets Daughter’s Funny Observations - Kelly Oxford is a Twitter power user, a screenwriter, a New York Times bestselling author. She’s also mother of a 7-year-old whose wit gives Mom a run for ...
2 days ago