Saturday, January 17, 2009
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Sven means: "You need to get the house cleaned up."
Deb hears: "You're a terrible housekeeper."
Deb says: "What do you mean by that?"
Sven says: "Do you want me to keep the kids for a few minutes so you can get on the treadmill?"
Sven means: "Go get on the treadmill that I spent $600 on because you wanted it."
Deb hears: "Fatty, fatty, two by four..."
Deb says: "What do you mean by that?"
Deb says: "If you want a shower this morning, you need to get up now."
Deb means: "Get out of bed, lazy bones."
Sven hears: "You stink, you dirty pig."
Sven says: "What do you mean by that?"
Sven says: "I can't find the snarfle."
Sven means: "Deb, get up and find me the snarfle."
Deb understands this perfectly.
Deb says: "Did you look for it?"
Deb means: "I know you just want me to find it for you, but I'm going to make you work for it."
Sven understands this perfectly.
Sven responds: "Of course I looked for it!"
Sven means: "I walked to a room and spun around three times with my eyes open."
Deb understands this perfectly and, sighing, goes to find the snarfle, currently located six inches from Sven's right foot.
Deb says: "What do you want for dinner?"
Deb means: "Please tell me what you want for dinner please please just this once have an opinion on something before I do and you just shoot it down please please."
Sven hears: "Blah blah blah dinner?"
Sven says: "I don't care, whatever you want is fine."
Deb lunges at Sven and bludgeons him with a bag of shredded cheese.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Here are the nominees:
Best Performance by an Animal, Domestic:
- My cat pooping on the carpet in the dining room
- My cat vomiting on the carpet in the living room
- My cat pooping on the carpet in the living room
- That dog on YouTube who can skateboard
- The lizard on my back door, for freezing in one position, enticing my three year-old daughter to take a closer look, before leaping on her head.
- The extraordinarily well-endowed lion at our last trip to the zoo, for napping in such a position.
- The inappropriately fat goat at the same zoo, for charging Sven Jr. (Okay, he wasn't "charging" so much as "looking at," but it was very traumatic.)
- The Dramatic Chipmunk
Most Perplexing Lack of DVD:
- Muppet Babies. Why is this cartoon not available on DVD? Why am I the only one who seems to care?
- The last season of Fraggle Rock. I am not a Fraggle Rock fan per se, but I understand they released all of the seasons individually, then only released the final season in a "complete series" DVD. Shocking.
- The Robot Chicken Star Wars/Star Wars Part II/Family Guy Blue Harvest/Hardware Wars collection, with bonus footage featuring Weird Al videos. Okay, that's just me. I accept your disdain.
- The episode of CSI where Hannah Montana gets shot and they do the autopsy. Don't tell me this episode doesn't exist...I need it.
Best Explanation of 10-15 Pound Holiday Weight Gain:
- These clothes keep shrinking! Stop washing in hot water! (Deb)
- This medicine must be making you gain weight. (Sven, bless him)
- I guess I've just been too tired to exercise. (Deb, lounging in bed with a box of chocolates)
- I saw on the news that there's this new disease, where you just get fatter after Christmas. Really. (Not really)
Cutest Thing Ever:
- Deb Jr., belting out "Tomorrow" from the backseat. (Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, it's tomorrow, you feel like a Crabby Patty...)
- Sven Jr., singing "Old MacDonald". (Yi-yi-yo, yo-yo-yi, yi-yi-yi-yo, moo)
- Deb Jr., calling me "mudder."
- Sven Jr., giggling madly at my removal of his socks.
Best Waste of Time:
Yes, I think this awards show has potential. However, it seems to have limited appeal... I know!
Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role:
- Brad Pitt, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- Leonardo DiCaprio, Revolutionary Road
Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role:
- Angelina Jolie, The Changeling
- Angelina Jolie, Kung Fu Panda
I'm sure they'll show up... The awards ceremony will be at my house this Saturday at 5:00 (have to get the kids to bed!) and formal attire is requested.
Please park around the corner, the neighbor's RV is blocking traffic to our house. However, I can almost promise: No paparazzi. Any paparazzi who show up are on cat-poop duty.
Monday, January 12, 2009
"Was I supposed to remember that?" Then Sven Jr. pulled my hair.
Okay, so it wasn't the world's most romantic moment, but I feel today I should honor the man who made me a wife and mother in not-so-rapid succession.
Picture it: January 1994. Bill Clinton is still new in office, no one has yet heard of Monica Lewinsky. The clear beverage craze is over. Pearl Jam is the hottest band around. Deb is hanging out with Sven and his best friend Hezekiah, wearing her best flannel and her saggiest jeans.
"So," says Hezekiah smoothly. "A bunch of us are going to a club tonight. Do you want to come?"
"Sure," Deb replies, "but I don't have a car right now."
"Sven will pick you up," replies Hezekiah. Deb does not catch his wink.
At 7:00 that night, Sven comes to Deb's house. They drive to Houston, talking all the while, having a great time. They get to the club, and- no Hezekiah, no "bunch of us..." What gives?
Only slightly abashed, Sven says, "Oh, everybody else cancelled."
Right. The sly fox tricked me into going out with him. I was feeling flattered, until I heard, "Why don't your pants fit?"
So much for flattery. We spent a great evening together getting to know one another, and then he took me home.
Where he did not kiss me. He didn't even try. I knew I had found someone special.
He still is.