Tuesday, November 3, 2009

NaNoWriMo 2009


I must announce a possible shortage of "Folksy Musin's" in the weeks to come, for I am embarking upon a quest.

A quest that will take 30 days, from November 1 to November 30.

It is the quest of the NaNoWriMo. No, not a Japanese restaurant. It is National Novel Writer's Month, and I, my friends, am a novelist.

At least, I finished a novel.

The goal for NaNoWriMo is 50,000 words in 30 days. I have written over 5,000 so far.

But I don't like it. I don't like what I've written, and I'm not sure where I'm going. So, I have a choice, this early in the month: keep going, or start over.

I don't know what to do. I can keep plugging away at my clunker, and hope that something happens, or I can start over and hope that something happens, saving my clunker for future consideration.

My current story (AKA "clunker") is the story of a young woman who survives the 1900 Galveston Hurricane...as a vampire. She returns to the island a few years later and becomes involved in the Prohibition-era organized crime that took over the island until the 1950's. I don't know what happens after that.

If I let this one go, or put it on hold, I don't know what I'll do. I have an idea for a totally non-supernatural, regular story about a woman who runs into her high-school crush when they are in their 30's (she has grown and moved on, he hasn't, but she's the one who is miserable); I was also toying with a fictional account of Melusine von Schulenberg, mistress of George I (that one even has a title, it would be called "Maypole").

So, let me hear from you, my friends. What should I do?

(Today's post was going to be, "Has anyone seen my camera," but my mom has it. Thanks, Mom!)


4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I don't think you should keep going with something you don't like, just because you've already spent time on it.

And the thought of writing 50,000 words makes me want to subject myself to 24 hours of Mario Lopez.

Barbaloot said...

I say go with the one you'd enjoy reading and or writing more. If you're just trying to save your clunker you may end up hating it. Right?

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

I agree with Barbaloot. :)

Glad you found your camera!!!!

Josmery said...

Mmm... just from MY perspective, the mistress one sounds the best to me. :)

But I like stuff like Jane Eyre, Rebecca, Pride and Prejudice, etc. *shrug* Just my 2 cents. :)