Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Let it snow, okay?

In other parts of the world, cold weather this time of year is normal.

Here in Southeast Texas, "cold" has a different meaning.  We generally begin to don jackets when the daytime high is in the 60's, a high in the 50's calls for more serious layering, and we seriously consider canceling appointments, schools, and garbage pickup for anything colder.

Hence, the madness that is today.  An "arctic blast" has been assaulting us all day.  This morning, when I left, I was promised that the rain would let up and the high temperature would get into the 40's.  Excuse me as I laugh bitterly, looking out my window to the ice accumulating on my cactus.

It seems now that the "high" today was in the mid-thirties.  We have had rain, off and on, all day, but now the rain is making ominous ticking sounds that can only mean one thing: really cold rain. 

Don't mind me.  I'm just crabby.  Today I found out that I have a new nickname, given to me by my fourth grade students.  Mrs. Witch.  Nice, huh?  I must be doing something right...

Update at 8:10 p.m. Wednesday night: It is snowing, and the snow appears to be sticking!  My husband has the 3-year-old outside now taking pictures, it is her first snow.

1 comment:

Kristina P. said...

Ha! I was so witchy with the kids yesterday. It snowed a bit the other day, but we've had sort of a wamr winter.