Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Epiphanies/Deep Thoughts

Lately, I've been having a lot of epiphanies and deep thoughts. I've been eating a lot of fiber, so, there you go.

In the hopes of saving you the 34 years it took me to arrive to these conclusions, I am listing them here for you.

1. If you are an optimist, you will be sad sometimes. If you are a pessimist, you will be sad all the time.

2. I have worked very hard for my happiness. But, some people work very hard at unhappiness. That is their right, as much as happiness is mine.

3. I can't fix anyone but me. Fortunately, there is a lot of work to be done.

4. Air freshener fools no one.

5. Watching cooking shows on TV does not make me a "foodie," any more than watching Project Runway makes me a fashion insider. When I refer to undercooked spaghetti as "a failure of execution," I am being pretentious and silly.

6. I do not need to apologize for taking time for me sometimes. But when I take that time, I need to do something with it that I will be happy about.

7. Just because I love my children doesn't mean I have to always like them. I usually do. Just not always.

8. The best thing I can teach my students is to love learning.

9. If I am going to complain about something, I should be willing to step up and take responsibility for it. If I don't want to do it myself, I should shut up and be grateful someone else has taken on the job.

10. I think too much.

Have a good day, everyone!

5 comments:

Joanna said...

Amen. Good for you.

Barbaloot said...

Yeah, but on #3 wouldn't it be great if you could fix other people? :)

The Domestic Flunky said...

I liked #2 best. Maybe (please!) you could elaborate in a future post... about the working very hard part. Tips, pointers, rituals, suggested meds...

Thanks! I love your posts.

Kristina P. said...

We were talking at work, yesterday, about the woman who I replaced for the summer, and how utterly miserable she is, and how much energy it must take to be that negative.

Glenene said...

I like your list....