Monday, December 22, 2008

New Year's Resolution

I will probably be riffing on this for a while, but it's never too early to ponder one's self-improvement, no?

1. I will attempt to limit my Twilight reading.  My goal now is to read the series, then read another book before beginning the series again.  I am currently reading "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer, who is, of course, the author of Twilight, but it is a start.

I can only go without Edward for so long, but I try.

2. I will sing again.  Since having my children, I have been sadly neglectful of my voice.  I will stop telling myself that singing "Run Around" by Blues Traveler while driving counts as a warm-up.  I commit to warming up for 10-15 minutes daily, ceasing all caffeinated drinks, and only using my voice properly during teaching.

3. No babies this year!  I had one in 2005 and one in 2007.  I will break the streak in 2009.   I have undeniably cute babies, no doubt about it, but two is/are enough.
I will try to stick to this one, but Sven Jr. (the little one) is in the sloppy open-mouth kiss stage, which is so cute and gross...it weakens me.

4. I will stop crying during the Sara McLachlan/ASPCA commercials, in which my daughter relentlessly points out "That doggy is sad, Mommy.  That kitty is sad, Mommy.  Where is the kitty's mommy?"  I will also try to stop crying when the news shows clips of people meeting celebrities, or when the fat woman wins on The Price Is Right.

5. I will stop making excuses about not shaving my legs.  This will just make the occasions when I do it more special.

That's enough for now...any more self-improvement and I might just eat raw brownie dough and cry myself to sleep.  I love this time of year!

10 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Your babies are adorable!

And really, who shaves their legs in the winter?

rychelle said...

Be careful. I hear that leg shaving is what leads to more babies ;)

How is The Host?

Deb said...

Rychelle, The Host isn't bad. It's no Twilight, but I didn't expect it to be. I had a little bit of trouble getting into it, but I'm about halfway through now and I'm liking it. It's a really interesting premise, I'd say give it a shot.

Deb said...

Kristina, thanks for the compliment. I, of course, believe that my children are the smartest, prettiest, bravest, most talented children ever, but it's nice to get affirmation from a disinterested 3rd party...

Who shaves their legs in winter? Texans! On Christmas Day this year, our high will be 77. I would be wearing shorts or capris all week this week...if I had shaved my legs last night. Oh, well...

Barbaloot said...

Ooh-I liked The Host. And I applaud you for putting a new book in there between starting the series again. May I suggest "The Lightening Theif." My 12 year-old nephew gave it to me...and I LOVED it. A lot.

Barbaloot said...

And PS-the picture of Edward makes me want to go see the movie all over again.

Machen family said...

Thank you for singing again. I love your resolution. Maybe to stop eating my kids candies and then blaming it on Santa Claus.

Machen family said...

My last comment makes no sense. I wanted to resolve to stop eating my kids candies and then blaming it on Santa

Trying to Stay Calm! said...

Hope you have a blessed and very Merry Christmas! L♥ve and Hugs :) Shauna

Machen family said...

Ok confession here...had to look up O'Henry to make that comment on your post make sense. I was a little confused when you compared my story to a candy bar. I'm glad I got that figured out, and thanks for the compliment! I'm glad you liked my little story